Hatred's SEO Silos Tutorial

Discussion in 'Guides and Tutorials' started by Hatred, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hatred

Hatred Sape, PBN Links, Repeat Admin VIP

Ill answer the rest of these when I get off work!

2. Art

Art New Member

I read it I understand what your saying. What you said was create the pages put your keyword as the page name I did that. Than when you create that page with your keyword create a post under that page making that page a category, but when you do that means your page is the same thing as your post. It looks like this example : cars for sale (page name) ----> than I create a post with the same keyword since I want to rank that : cars for sale(post title)
    it ends up looking like this

Cars for sale (page name)

Post title: cars for sale

blah blah cars for sale <-- meta description categories: cars for sale
    best cars
    cars

I tried to make it look like a legit site and how it looked when I did it. It looks spammed like that your keyword is on the pages name under the posts name under the catgeories and on the bottom of the site I know wordpress does that but still.

Would this be the solution to it? I feel like its the same thing

your home page linking ------> another page, this page links back to -------> homepage

3. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

@Art what he meant with that is that your posts are related to category page, not the same. For example: your main kw is SMART PHONES (which is homepage). Then your silos could be Iphones and Android. Under silo "iphones" you would add related posts to that silo. Like post #1: best iphone cases, #2 top iphone apps etc. Second silo would be ANDROID so it could contain posts about Android but target lower competition kws. (mainly longtails).

Sorry for lame example, but I hope that you got it now.

4. Art

Art New Member

@Nicklas Thanks I get it now but wouldn't this be the same thing
    Homepage links to -> another page, this page links----> back to homepage

5. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

@Art Actually Homepage link --> to silo pages, silo pages then links --> to supportive silo posts and finally posts link back --> to homepage.

Actually that's the main reason for silo - to make link juice flow all the time without losing it somewhere. Also that's why HP and Silos are more competitive kws than posts - because all the juice flows from the bottom to top.

6. Hatred

Nicklas pretty much summed that up nicely Art. Do you need anything else explained?

Franklin likes this.
  7. Hatred

2. I'm not using category/name
    I'm using categoryname(page)/post. I want the category to rank hence it's a page (silo).
    3. Honestly that is gonna take you some time but is doable.
    4. Look at the way nicklas referenced this. It is the way I do it.

8. Art

Art New Member

@Hatred I get it I was just wondering wouldn't it be the same if if I linked from my homepage->> to another page, that from that page link back t0 -----> homepage ? Wouldn't it be the same besides the post part

9. Art

Art New Member

or it won't give much of a boost that way?

10. Hatred

No idea what that even means. The point is to never cut off juice, anywhere.

11. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

Hey, I guess you skipped my comment. :p

I asked what do you do with /category/your-kw/ if you rank your silo page with kw in it?

So, here is silo #1:

Login To See Link

Here is post #1 in that silo:

Login To See Link

All seems logical, but following I don't get.

In breadcrumbs there is link to:

Login To See Link

Do you no-index categories if you rank your page already? Or Do you redirect/ canonical them to your page silos? Or you simply disable breadcrumbs?

12. Hatred

Neither. In all honesty, it plays virtually no role in ranking my websites. Breadcrumbs are there for inner pages. The way I set them up they show up with thissiteisawful.com/virtual-piano-app >>>>Above is the post-name

The page for thissiteisawful.com/%categoryname% is the page for my category so in the above - site.com/catname/post-i-created

The Pages for thissiteisawful.com/category/name are simply archives. These pages don't rank because google is going to filter them out, that's what we want since we are ranking that Silo as the category instead of the category archive pages. That's also why the meta is messed up. Again it plays little to no role in ranking since you aren't ranking those pages.

Nicklas likes this.
  13. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

Thanks a lot!

But 1 more question - if these archive pages are useless, can I name them differently than my SILO page? For example if my SILO kw is:
    Iphone app reviews,
    can I name category simply REVIEWS? Just to make permalink nicer and shorter. Or my category should be named exactly as Silo page?

14. Hatred

This is the way i do it. It works, not sure why there are so many baseless questions.

@Nicklas, try it and let me know how it works.

15. Art

Art New Member

@Hatred because we have to create 10 different pages and posts with category and god knows what its confusing to some degree

16. Hatred

So if you have 10 silos. That's 10 pages. Each of those having posts. So you configure the category of those posts and you're done? That seems super fucking easy if you ask me.

17. Lonnie Jones

Lonnie Jones New Member

I hate to beat a dead horse here but I think our slight confusion can be explained here:

Login To See Link

1. You link from the Home Page: "Piano" to the "How to Play the Piano" landing page.
    2. Then, from the "How to Play the Piano" landing page you are linking to the "How to Play Jingle Bells on the Piano" post.
    3. Then, from that post you are linking back to the Home Page: "Piano" which we all understand is the correct silo structure...but our questions come from this same post, you also link to the "How to Play the Piano" category page....which doesn't link anywhere but back to the category posts.
    Is this 2nd link to the "How to Play the Piano" page done on purpose? Or does it not matter because the juice comes back to the posts? We are just trying to understand this link.

This may be a very elementary question for you but we just want to make sure we aren't missing something.

Thank you for your responses.

Lonnie

18. Hatred

I'd have to re-watch to see where I linked back to the category but the silo goes Piano > How to Play Piano > How to Play jingle bells on the piano > Piano

Each category is their own silo.

19. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

@Hatred You link automatically back to a category archive via breadcrumbs. If you disable breadcrumbs, silo would be exactly as you describe it.

20. Hatred

Aw I understand where the confusion is now. I actually have breadcrumbs setup on my money sites to use Home > Cat (page) > Post and in this I completely spaced and left that part out. Sorry about that folks. I will be editing this and adding in another video to go over that part.

Thanks for pointing that out Nick as well as others. Again I'm only human. The videos themselves can be a bitch to create but are well worth the trouble for their worth as a visual aid.

Again I will be editing the OP with a new video and adding that in as a video tutorial just go over it. That or you could remove breadcrumbs completely.

Art and Nicklas like this.