Hatred's SEO Silos Tutorial

Discussion in 'Guides and Tutorials' started by Hatred, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hatred

Hatred Sape, PBN Links, Repeat Admin VIP

SEO Silos With Wordpress

On-page optimization is probably one of the most overlooked factors of any website. For those of you that don't know what an SEO silo is, it is essentially the way to structure a website. Google absolutely loves this structure because all the information is niche related and optimized to benefit the users.

Below is a video I made going over what an SEO Silo is and how to apply it. Not only did I talk about it, I made a site and demonstrated "over the shoulder" how to create it. It is rather easy and people have different techniques, this is just what I do, don't yell at me.

My Silo Structure

[​IMG]

The website in the video: htttp://thissiteisawful.com/

Theme from the video:

Login To See Link

Tim01, Fio, Insanity and 11 others like this.
  2. Franklin

Franklin I don't Do PMs Sorry Admin VIP

Spot on, Got my websites flowing like this and it works a treat. :cool:

3. Electricity Hurts

Electricity Hurts New Member

Thanks for the share. Great stuff :)

4. Asexual

Asexual New Member

Straight to the point and nothing being played out. Something that's already easy made even easier with the over shoulder visual another perfect tutorial.

5. Art

Art New Member

Absolutely a must watch thank you

6. Goldorak

Goldorak Hustler

Excellent TUT, the best I've seen so far
    My question would be if you have more posts on each silo how to do you link up on each post. Do you link the current post to the previous one?
    Also as per the diagram the last post of the silo links back to the main keyword. Let's say you did that and added more posts after what do yo do with the post that was linking to the main keyword (ie piano)

7. Hatred

As I stated this is how I structure most of my Micro niche sites now. The links go down to less and less competitive keywords. Interlinking is basic SEO 101. Widgets on pages links to each category post so no matter where you go the post goes up to the homepage.

8. Hatred

Main keyword is now #21, some rank trackers show me at #17. Again, no links built, just full effect of siloing. I should be getting 10 more PBNs and I am waiting for Franklin to send me a scrape for domains for 301s. I'll be making a case study/tutorial on that as well. Stay tuned!

9. Kwame

Kwame New Member

Great info, thanks

10. Hatred

Added the theme to the video. YT comment told me I forgot, and I did.

11. Lonnie Jones

Lonnie Jones New Member

Thank you for this tutorial...I have a few additional questions:
    1. Why do you use the "widgets on pages" plugin instead of just manually adding a link inside your body content?
    2. On this page:/teach-yourself-piano/ if you look at your breadcrumbs it links you to (/category/virtual-piano-app/) instead of the actual category page (/virtual-piano-app/). I was just wondering if this was done on purpose and if so then could you explain why it is important to set it up this way?
    3. What is the best way to handle additional posts in a silo...for example...if you created additional posts in the same silo as this post /teach-yourself-piano/ like "Teach Your Kid the Piano" and "Teach Yourself Happy Birthday on the Piano"...how would you handle these...would they interlink with "Teach Yourself the Piano"? or would they just all link back to the homepage...or what do you recommend?
    4. Is there a negative effect in linking out to authority sites from your post page? Or is it best just to link back to the home page?
    Thanks in advanced for you time.

Lonnie

12. Art

Art New Member

The pages you create are they your keywords? Example would be the page you create how to play the piano is that your keyword or just the name of the page you decided to go with?

13. Hatred

Lots of great questions guys. When I get out of work I will gladly answer these.

14. Hatred

1. Just a proper silo since you will have more than 1 post to link out to in a category. You can also interlink but the point of the header categories is to have a definite structure that way.
    2. In the video you see me create a page for each of my categories. This is on purpose because our categories are pages we are actually trying to rank as apposed to /category/name/. This is also beneficial for people who may do buffers. Also these pages can be huge for search. I tend to get a lot of traffic that stays on the page this way.
    3. Those would be posts that I would target at the bottom. Google looks at the url, everything is included in those words. This strategy is for a BASIC micro niche site. This means our pages/posts are few and far between. These aren't authority based domains that you see massive strategies for.
    4. I think it is absolutely fucking bullshit. I was told by a good friend long ago. If there is a link on my money site, that link better be making me fucking money. If it ain't it's gotta go. At the end of the silos i link back to the home page because that is where the money is typically for me. If it is one of the categories I would do it that way.

15. Hatred

They are my keywords.

16. Art

Art New Member

But when you create a page with your keyword than you create a post with that same keyword wont it be over optimizing ?

17. Lonnie Jones

Lonnie Jones New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed response...I have a couple more questions for you :)

#1 - Thank you for your input.

#2 - I have the same comment as Art...when you have 2 pages targeting the same keyword it confuses Google...so having /category/virtual-piano-app/ and /virtual-piano-app/ could potentially be a problem...so I was wondering if that was done on purpose for some reason or if it is just a byproduct of using Wordpress category/post structure...it maybe beneficial to 301 redirect /category/virtual-piano-app/ to /virtual-piano-app/ to consolidate the pages.

#3 - I understand what you say about you usually using this structure for niche sites...I have bigger sites that have more content that I want to go back in try and silo using what you are teaching me...but some of them have about 6-8 posts that would fit in 1 silo.

Is it best to interlink this way?
    • Home > Category > Sub-Category > Post #1 > Back to Home
    • Home > Category > Sub-Category > Post #2 > Back to Home
    • Home > Category > Sub-Category > Post #3 > Back to Home
    • Home > Category > Sub-Category > Post #4 > Back to Home
    Or this way:

Home > Category > Sub-Category > Post #1 > Post #2 > Post #3 > Post #4 > Back to Home

I hope this makes sense.

#4- lol...yes I understand what you are saying.

Thank you for all your help.

Lonnie

18. Nicklas

Nicklas New Member

Awesome vid! I guess I have the same question as previous guys.

You are ranking only your category PAGE not category, right? So /category/virtual-piano-app/ is totally useless? If so, do you no-index it or do anything else with it? Also if you have /category/bla-bla-bla/ in breadcrumbs, doesn't it destroy silo? You are linking as well to categories, not just HP/category page.

I have heard that people actually rank category pages as well. With plugins they remove /category/ and add text to them, however, I don't like it that way.

Would love to hear your opinion.

19. Art

Art New Member

It gets to confusing than you have to worry about not over-optimizing it I just tired it on my site it looks horrible yes the link juice gets passed on but it looks awful on page wise. Can we just do it like this I figure its the same thing as long as it goes back to my homepage

Homepage------> page link back to -----> homepage
    basically your linking from the homepage to another page and from that other page back to homepage will that work?

20. Hatred

How do you figure that? My pages consist of 1500-2000 words. I even drop it in my h1 tags as well. There is an on page seo guide I posted by phpbuilt you should consider reading.